Brot Bakehouse School and Kitchen & Brotbakery
38 Meade Rd
Fairfax, VT 05454
Join us for our popular introductory bread baking class where you will learn all about baking with sourdough culture.
In this class we cover the fundamentals of sourdough alchemy in bread making, incl. making your own culture, proper mixing, shaping and finally baking a simple yet delicious sourdough bread.
We will talk about the difference between naturally leavened bread vs. bread made with commercial yeast, proper flour and grain selection and most importantly how to start and maintain a live culture (sourdough) and keep it happy and alive in your home for many bakes to come.
Making completely natural bread with sourdough may look daunting - and yes, it will take some planning and knowledge, but it does not have to be complicated. You don't even need a mixer, it's all made by hand. All you need is a basic understanding of wild yeasts and microorganism and you can start your bread making adventure.
The class is designed as an introduction to sourdough baking techniques and you will get a ripe sourdough culture and recipes to take home, so you can start making bread right away in your home.
Even if you are a total beginner when it comes to bread baking - come curious and leave inspired by wild yeasts and their magic! The class finishes with a sensory bread tasting with different breads and local condiments and everybody will get to shape and bake their own bread.
What we will do:
- learn the basics of sourdough fermentation
- mix and shape a simple country bread together
- bake your bread in a wood fired oven
- have an extensive Q&A session and a sensory bread tasting at the end of the class
What we will not do:
- make so many different breads in one afternoon so you can't even keep track
- just give you the recipes without explaining the science behind it (yes, this is science!)
- doing the work for you (yes, it's a hands-on class!)
Instead you will learn more than you even knew there was to learn, including:
- How to look after your starter
- How to control the flavor of sourdough bread
- How to make a classic sourdough country loaf
- Which variables affect the fermentation?
- How to get an open crumb structure
- Understanding shaping & scoring techniques
- Nutrition & digestibility of sourdough bread
Come join us for a day of exploration and getting-your-hands-in-the-dough. You will surely walk away inspired to continue the sourdough adventure at home.
|Date:||Saturday, Oct. 30, 2021|
|Time:||10:00 AM to 1:00 PM|
|Level:||Beginner, min 4, max. 8 participants|
|Location:||Brot Bakehouse School and Kitchen, 38 Meade Rd., Fairfax, Vermont|